Friday, August 13, 2010

Sock Monkey Tutorial: Part 3

Here's the fun part...
Time to put your monkey together!
Stuff your monkey body/legs
and sew up the crotch area by hand.

Stuff the arms.

Tuck the raw edges of the top of the arms in a little.
Then I pin the arm to the body like pictured above.
Find where you think it looks best.
I like the seem to be on the inside of the arm,
facing the body.


I like to sew the top of the arm,
then lift and sew around the rest.
I don't think there is a rule to this.
Attach the arm in whatever way you find easiest.



My monkey now has arms!


Sewing on the ears.
Pin ears like shown in the picture above.
Sew the back of the ears,
then un-pin, flip, and sew the front.
Again, there is no rule to this.
If you think up an easier way to
attach the ears...
do it!


Sewing on the tail.
Find a spot where you think it looks good.
Pay attention to your seem.
I like it facing the inside, so it is hidden.
Pin and hand sew it on,
like you did the arms.

Finishing the face.
I ended up deciding to use felt
instead of the sock heel.
Both will work fine.
If you use the heel,
you will want to stuff a little to fill it.
Pin the felt oval on and attach it
by using a blanket stitch around the edge.



Draw on the smile and eyes.


Embroider on the mouth and eyes.
I used a satin stitch for the eyes
and a straight/back stitch for the mouth.
(**p.s. I found the best embroidery instructions here.**)


Look at that cute face;)



Decorating the top of the head/hat.
I made a bow out of felt.
For boy monkeys,
I have made a tassel out of felt and string.



Sew your decoration to the top of the monkey's head.

Yeah!
Your sock monkey is done!
Time for a tea party:)

1 comment:

Freya said...

Cute! Fun idea, and you make it look so simple.

http://tutorialadventures.blogspot.com